Friday, February 13, 2009

Operation: Love and Happiness

As Valentine's Day approaches each year I am always reminded of the years that I hated Valentine's day. I would wear black clothing. I would buy myself a box of chocolates and eat every one, wondering if they would taste better if they had been a gift from someone else.

All of this changed one year when I received a simple reminder that I was loved. Every year since then I have tried to let others know that they, too, are loved - even when it may not appear so.

This year I came up with Operation: Love and Happiness.

There were 3 phases, but I'm only going to tell you about Phase 2. (Because that's all I want to tell you about, that's why. Some things are more exciting when kept secret.)

I decided to create some valentines with messages of love and happiness on the inside. On the outside, I simply put: 'To whoever finds this.'
Over the course of the last couple of days I have been leaving these little Valentines in random places all over the city. The most difficult part of this was to hide them, but in plain sight - and without being caught. Difficult, but extremely exhilarating!

There are some on the campus of our city's high school.

(I could not take any pictures because there was ALWAYS someone around! Coolister helped me come up with some good places to leave them at parent/teacher conferences.)

A few are scattered throughout the local shopping mall.
The city cemetery is decorated with several.
Our public library houses quite a number of them in various places.
Phone booths throughout our surrounding neighborhood have valentines stashed conspicuously.

I plan to visit a few local parks today and leave the remainder of unexpected surprises there.

Thumbelina asked if she could make some and leave them around her middle school today as well. (It's contagious!)

I hate to admit it, but part of the reason I am planting anonymous valentines all over our fine city is purely selfish.

It makes me feel SO giddy and warm to think that maybe - just maybe - one person who finds a valentine will really need it. Maybe one person's day will be brightened. Maybe it will bring a smile to someone's face.

I know it worked for me!


(I'm smiling.)

8 comments:

Holmes said...

I hope I find one...

Cami said...

How fun! I'm going to have to do this with my kiddos next year. Kate would love it!

Michelle said...

You always think of the most creative things. This sounds like lots of fun. I hope I find one too.

Happy Hubby, JJ, Bugs, Nenie and Sadie Jo said...

you really do have a pure heart of gold - that you would share with anyone that needs it! Thank you for being you!

Steph said...

I was thinking the same thing. Gerb, you have a heart of gold. The best part is your generosity is contagious. :)

Teachinfourth said...

I was tempted to head out to find one of the secret valentines, but then decided not to.

Kudos on kindness to others, Gerb. You inspire me.

annette said...

You are certifiable (in a good way). It's too bad you couldn't have secret cameras set up to catch the lucky finders!

simplysarah said...

I like you, and your style. And not just because your my sister's friend. :)

This post made my day, and I didn't even find one of your Valentines.