Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mom and Me

Saturday morning I got a phone call from the video relay service.

It was my Mom.

"Gerby," the interpreter said, "you don't have to come today. It's supposed to snow pretty heavy. What do you think?"

"I'm coming, Mom. See you in about an hour."

I have not spent quality one-on-one time with my Mom in a very long time and I had been anticipating the day with a feeling of excitement. I wasn't going to let a little snow keep me home.

We had a great time.

We had breakfast.

We talked about everything under the sun.

We did a little shopping.

We went and got Mom's hair cut.


It was a great day.

As I was leaving Mom lamented over the fact that her hair was becoming much too gray and her hip has been giving her problems.

I lamented over the fact that I do not make the one-hour drive to visit her more often.



It's a fault I plan to remedy.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Your mom looks great. How fun to have some mother-daughter time. I enjoy that with my girls now, and I hope those kind of outings continue when my daughters are adults, too.

Lena the Teacher said...

I love your mom! I love the way she says quesadillas!

Jon and Maryanne said...

I LOVE her new haircut! I wish I could see her more often! It was nice to see her last spring!

annette said...

You and your mom have the same wonderful smile. What a wonderful day!