Thursday, February 26, 2009

Karate Kid?



-->
All-a-Boy had the assignment in class to write a persuasive letter a few weeks ago. We get one of these from at least one child every year, usually asking for a puppy (which, I'm sorry, will never happen. Because puppies become dogs and dogs become children and I will never have a dog in my family Christmas photo.) All-a-Boy must have known there was no chance for a canine companion because this was what he wrote instead:

Dear Mom and Dad,

I would like karate lessons for the following reasons;

First, it would be a new experience. Having karate lessons will help my self-esteem. Self-esteem is very important for a person my age. It would also help my confidence, and you’re always telling me I’m feeling sorry for myself so confidence is an important key to change my attitude.

Second, the exercise is also very important. I don’t think I am getting the physical exercise that I need. Karate will keep me physically strong and happier because I’m healthier. And I will also be more energized. So karate is good.

To top it all off, it will teach me self-defense. For instance when I’m on the way to scouts and someone steps out of hiding and tries to kidnap me, normally I would be forced into their car or house. But if I knew karate I could fight them and get away safely. And if Coolister is being a jerk and won’t let me upstairs or in my room or he’s just being mean for the fun of it, instead of just getting beat up without being able to fight back I could defend myself.

Please consider these reasons and respond as soon as possible. Please tell me the reasons why.

Sincerely, All-a-Boy

5 comments:

Allen said...

Funny how he makes it sound like he "normally" gets kidnapped on his way to scouts.

Maleen said...

I'm convinced. I might even have to get my OWN children karate lessons now.

Chelle! said...

Personally, I think that he should get karate lessons. He is really persuasive.

Teachinfourth said...

He didn't add the part of, "I could also waste half of the neighborhood if I felt like it."

Of course, he'd be more protection than a dog would be if he knew karate...

annette said...

At one point we had 3 kids in Karate and I loved it. It was good for dicipline and health as well as self-defense. I highly recommend it. BTW, I have an extra karate suit about all-a-boy's size if you want it.