Monday, February 16, 2009

Dancing Queen

We had a Valentine's Day dance at our church on Saturday. As a general rule I tend to avoid dances where there are other adults present. Especially when the flier mentions "ballroom dance instruction".

I can not do any form of organized dance. I was kicked out of Modern Dance class my sophomore year of high school for a good reason. (Apparently watching 80's Madonna videos was not a good way to learn to modern dance. Whatever.)

We arrived at the dance as a teenaged couple were strutting their ballroom stuff in the gym to the cheers and applause of the crowd. After a few more numbers the lights were finally turned off.

It was time.

Allen asked if I wanted to dance to a half slow, half happy-bouncy kind of song. We took our place among the other couples and I immediately began to attempt a half sway, half bounce sort of dancing.

"You're right," Allen said. "Maybe we should just sit down."

But when the band started to play some upbeat Elvis numbers I really couldn't help myself. Allen joined me as we tore up the dance floor.

(Much to the horror of others.)

We brought the house down with a big finish which included some move we invented where Allen picked me up and swung me in a circle. I felt like we were the stars of High School Musical or something. It was awesome.

(I don't care how goofy I look in this picture because I love that Allen is captured here in the middle of a genuine laugh!)

Well, that was enough dancing for the night.

So we thought.

The band surprised us with a few more modern numbers that I just couldn't stay in my seat for. Allen was engaged in the fine art of conversation so I took the opportunity to relive my old 'church dance days' and do a little dancing with myself.

And then we went home and played RockBand.

The end.

14 comments:

Gina said...

Wohoo!

I love your dress.

I want to know who is taking the pictures.

sue-donym said...

As a personal witness to this awesomeness, I must say the pictures do not do the show justice. You OWNED that dance floor!

Love the way the guy in the green shirt is looking at you in the last one!

Teachinfourth said...

[Cue ABBA cassette, song 2] "Dancing Queen, young and sweet..."

It sounds like a lot of fun because you chose for it to be so. The power of attitude (and lack of caring what others think) can make an ordinary activity, extraordinary...

Oh, to be a fly on the wall.

cari said...

Dangit! Now I'm really regretting not going. (We were totally exhausted after the day we had. I just didn't see dancing in the picture for us.) Looks like fun!

Lena the Teacher said...

I love your dress!

Mom of Three said...

I too like your dress, and your awesome Moooves!!

Farscaper said...

You guys are sooo dang cute together.

I wish we could have gone. I wasn't feeling great and we can never afford a babysitter. My hubby is the first guy I've ever met who actually knows how to lead. I can't dance for the life of me but he sure helps me fake it.

Gerb said...

Gina - Photographers varied from Allen to our friends Daren and Jenny. And thanks, I love the dress, too.

Sue - Too bad it was too dark for video! Yeah, the green-shirt guy is totally amazed at my hip action. I get that all the time. One of my favorite moments of the whole night was when you said, "That was my sock". Hilarious.

tchn5th- We have to make every moment count, right? Much more fun to get out there and make people laugh than not.

Cari - I'm sure there will be a next time. See you then!

Lena - Thanks! Dress Barn. Who knew?!

Mom of 3- I love that everyone notices I got a new dress. It was the first one (or two, actually) that I have bought in a real (non-thrift) store in probably 10 years. The cost KILLED me but I suppose it's okay every 10 years or so. Thanks!

Farscaper - Thanks! I agree, we are quite the handsome couple. ;) I used to love dancing with a friend who could do 'the pretzel'. I would just hang on and he made me look like I was pulling the moves right along with him. BTW, if you ever need a babysitter my 3 oldest would all love to come give you guys a break for the afternoon/night anytime. Or you could bring the munchkins over here, too. (I'm serious.)

Trish said...

That is a great photo of Allen!

Steph said...

I love the pictures. You both look genuinely happy and and really seem to enjoy yourselves together. :) And of course... I LOVE the dress, too. It looks great on you. :)

~j. said...

Heh heh heh. That was awesome.

Panama Jones said...

And you told us you don't dance! You must have been dancing whenever Annette and I were looking the other way. We missed most of the awesomeness.

The big improvement that this dance had over the youth dances of my adolescence was I no longer had to be cool--I could just dance and enjoy being with my wife. It's a good thing, too, because I never mastered cool.

annette said...

We were all a bunch of 30 somthin' or older couples who "couldn't dance", which made it soooo much fun, because it didn't matter. I heard it was such a success that they plan on doing it again next year!

Jen said...

You two are too cute!