Sunday, February 8, 2009

Come Again

I looked out the window from the comfort of my couch and saw that my small corner of the world had transformed from a dry and blustery winter day to a thing of rain-soaked beauty.

The most immediate plan to form in my mind was to run outside (still in my church clothes, no less) and become soaked to the skin - letting the water run down my upturned face as I spun in circles, arms outstretched, welcoming this gift from the heavens. I had a fleeting moment of giddy anticipation...

...until I remembered that it is only 36 degrees outside. And that I am a major wimp when it comes to cold.

Oh, Spring, where art thou?!

And so I mouthed these words to the overcast skies:

raincheck

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm glad you came to your senses, Gerb. Warm summer rainshowers, yes. (I might even join you when you redeem your raincheck!) Cold showers, no thank you.

Gina said...

I love how you write. That was poetry at it's best. Raincheck!

Teachinfourth said...

The hills are alive...

I too share that same affinity for the rain. I don't know about dancing in it, but a little jig might be appropriate.

Gerb said...

Bec- I'll call you when the first Spring rain hits...

Gina- You always make me feel so clever and poetic. Thanks!

Tchn5th- Even just standing in it - or splashing in puddles - can be invigorating.